Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Perfection




The life of a photo editor is never boring, but I miss shooting. I miss the nerves, I miss the excitement, I miss it all. I need it badly. I'm striving to be the best and working on a real story.

However I find myself in a different calling right now. Everyday I wake-up head to budget and fight for space. I fight to keep a photo standard. Everyone thinks they can do my job. Everyone thinks they can make a photo. They don't understand, and sometimes I want to say fuck it because who/what am I fighting for? And then I realized I'm supposed to be doing this. I owe it to those Alex Stawinski's, Jill Woodbeck's, John Remus', and Merissa Ferguson's who created a standard, a name, an expectation, a legacy. If I don't stop this now their won't be the next Jessica Scott, or the next Dan Stewart.

If only my staff new what I have sacrificed for them and how much I care. That's why I'm an ass about deadlines and cutlines. I want them to be the highlight of the paper, I want them to be the next legend, the next CPOY winner. I want perfection and if that means being steam rolled by the other editors I'll gladly do it again.

3 comments:

Merissa said...

awww matt! thanks for the shout out! Don't let the bullshit at CM-Life get to you too much. Just enjoy it and it won't matter anymore once it's done. hopefully when you get a full time job you will work for a paper that understands photo. there are some out there.

Merissa said...

but keep working to make your staff better :) and this experience will only make you grow as a photographer. I promise.

Alexander Stawinski said...

Matt--
I second Merissa on the shout out and I agree.
Don't let the paper over take you creating a toxic environment.
Have fun.
Let your enthusiasm for storytelling dictate how your staff operates. Hope all is well.
-Alex