Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Work Stuff

I've been uninspired for a while and it makes it hard to shoot news type stuff. My mind has been on finding a fall story and creating my own studio. I really need to make some money and the weather has been so ideal for taking outdoor portraits. The problem is I've done nothing to market myself and I've been too busy with other things to even start.



I took this picture for a preview of an upcoming play and instead of shooting the dress rehearsal, I shoot a feature of the girls getting ready. I spent a lot of time waiting for some interaction as they all were dressing and sitting on their computers and then it happened.



It was extremely difficult to compose a clean frame, but this was honestly the best I could do. Neil the paper's adviser was not a fan of the photo because he wanted to see the face of the tattoo artist. This image is leaps and bounds more interesting than a plain photo of some guy laying down ink. Look at the irony of this photo, who brings their kid to a tattoo parlor and how often do you see them taking a picture of the tattoo.

1 comment:

Jake May said...

Matt, I really like both of these photos. I agree with you on the assessment of the second photo. It is far more interesting to get this slice of life photo of the girl taking a picture on her cell phone, or bored, texting her friends than a photo of just the tattoo artist.

Also, really a fan of the first photo. Great portrait. Good initiative in trying something different with the backstage pre-dress stuff. I think it's a great emotion, and really a great photo. :)

Hope all is going well this summer. Can't wait to be back in Mount Pleasant to see you and everyone. This semester is going to be great. Keep up the good work.