Friday, February 22, 2008

We don't care for CM Life

Military Ball

I tried to give this assignment out so I could go to the Vagina Monologues and I'm glad no one took it. The assignment turned out to be a lot of fun. It wasn't visually interesting but I had the chance to sit with Dean Pamela Gates which led to some great conversation.

For those of you who may not know who Mrs. Gates is, in short Dennis Lennox (extremely right winged student) filed a FOIA (freedom of information act) in her office. He pushed a few buttons and made her snap. He had a video camera to record the incident. She declared the video camera be shutoff and she took a light swipe at it, but a swipe non the less which has led to all kinds of trouble for the university. It's kind of like watching are you smarter than a 5th grader (Lennox), and the teachers being the CMU Administration.

Back to the Military Ball. So I sit down at the table and this gentleman in his 60's goes "We don't really care for CM Life." As I turn I see who he is and who is wife is (Gates).

I rebuttal with "I'm sorry to hear that. We can pretend I'm Dean (Gary) Shapiro tonight then." He was sick and couldn't attend so I was moved up to his seat.

Gates bitch-ingly says, "Well maybe we can talk policy and administrative business."

I shoot back, "Well I am a public relations major." She knew what I was talking about and she held her tounge for the rest of the night.

There was so much humor in that whole night and I'm amazed at how the university handles it's public affairs. A PR 101 student couldn't do a worse job.

No comments: