Monday, February 4, 2008

When you make excuses, your are putting the blame on others.

John Wooden (Legendary UCLA Basketball Coach):
"When you make excuses, your are putting the blame on others."

This is where I start. The blame is on me and the pressure to succeed is put on me. The reason I'm unhappy is not because of anyone else. It's because I haven't set the bar high enough. I've set the bar where I knew I could just get over it. Now it's time to put it a little higher than I have ever been and test myself.

First Project: I've realized why I wanted to become a photographer. I wanted to tell people how I feel. Taking photos allows me to live vicariously through the lives others. It is away to tell my story through their lives. So I'm giving myself and assignment to take a photo a day for the next year. The photo can be anything. It's away for me to think outside of the box and find away to relate my photos to my life and what I'm trying to say. It will help me with composition, and act as practice. Not all of the photo's will be mind blowing, but they will help to expose myself.

Secondly: No more excuses. What has happened in my past is pretty messed up, but it could be worse. My goal is to turn my problems into my solutions. The negative people I hang with need to go. I need a clean perspective. The one I used to have. The one my friends loved me for. The kid who knew who he was and where he was going.

Starting tomorrow I embark on year long growing assignment in finding who I am as a photographer, and as a person.

Eric Hoffer:

"For many people, an excuse is better than an achievement because an achievement, no matter how great, leaves you having to prove yourself again in the future; but an excuse can last for life."

No comments: