Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Winners and Losers




Last night I was faced with a reality check. It was late and sports was waiting on my photos, and I made the mistake of letting them choose from the top 7 of my photos. I was told we couldn't run a winning or losing shot because apparently that doesn't happen in high school sports.

I can rant and rave about how much I hate the politics of sports, but it won't do any good. All I can say is I hope journalist, young and old, start growing back bones before it is too late. The industry is changing and I can accept, but in some ways it is changing in the worst ways. I think we let the public decide too often what is news worthy and what is not. It starts with this sport ideology and then it runs into features, then spot news. It is a slow decent to hell. Just ask the auto industry what happened when they gave the public what they wanted, with GMAC pricing, and then came leases, and then came cheaper leases... but that is another story for another time, the moral is, "If you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to want a glass of milk."

No comments: