Monday, May 31, 2010

Oldies: Track and Field




I've been organizing photos on my hard drive and I came across a bunch of stuff I never shared. So the next couple of days will be filled with posts from previous work shot earlier in the year.

These photos are from a feature about the Central Michigan University track and field team. Coach Willie Randolph gave me free access to shoot what ever, where ever, and who ever I wanted. I met coach Randolph last summer when I photographed a portrait of him for a feature story. He is a charismatic guy, but he demands excellence in everything; he's someone you just have to meet. Either way I really built a rapport with Willie and full access which allowed me the freedom to just shoot.

Senior thrower Greg Pilling was and All-American last year and is the best athlete I have ever worked with. He had more questions about what I did as photographer than I had about throwing. At one point I was questioning who the journalist was, but his kindness put me at easy and allowed me to create a beautiful image.

1 comment:

Adel said...

I love the first photo. It´s amazing...I cannot say how much I like it! Really great work.
I try it too, but my photos aren´t as good as yours :-)